Monday, November 22, 2010

Bah bye Nascar

I'm breaking up with Nascar. It's been a long and tumultuous relationship. I've finally seen the light and decided to call it quits.

Nascar hasn't been meeting my needs for a long time. Nascar didn't listen when I tried to explain my need for a new champion. It became defensive and hostile when I pointed out its faults. It was a bad boyfriend. I'm moving on.

Back in the day, our relationship was fun. Owner-drivers like Alan Kulwicki could beat the mega-teams. My favorite driver had a shot at the championship and actually got one in the days when one team didn't hog them all. Drivers with finesse and ability won the races. Even that champion hog Dale Earnhardt was colorful. And a good driver. And added something to my enjoyment, even if it was only to boo him.

Mostly, back then, people won who were good at this. Who were good in any car they got in. And they made it enjoyable to watch. I really didn't like the Intimidator, but watching him catch a loose car out of a turn was truly poetry. He was that good.

I even had a relationship with Nascar when the races were on Wide World of Sports. I watched Ned Jarrett before he was an announcer. I loved the Allisons and I still can't watch the reports of Davy's death. I've been faithful and patient.

The current record holder is NOT that good. He wins on strategy and rules interpretation (cheating). It's like watching a computer run. It's boring. He's boring. It's golf.

Other people have tried to tell Nascar that falling ratings would not be helped by having this little twerp win again. I tried, reporters tried, other drivers tried. I expected one of those usual speeding, too long/too short, unapproved parts calls on the current champ to save Nascar's relationships with its fans. Nascar did nothing. They were busy fining the driver most like Earnhardt for flipping someone the bird, inside his car. And keeping Bowyer out for some weird reason. And letting some people go at it boys, but not others. Seriously?!!! This is what you thought would save our relationship?

With regret, I'm moving on. I love racing, but I'll still have Formula One, Indy, drag racing, and rally. I have taken Dr. Phil's advice to heart--you can only be an abused doormat if you let yourself be an abused doormat. You took me for granted too long. We're breaking up.


No comments: